Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Poor

I've read the gospels.
I've lived with little and I've lived with a lot.
I'm not sure one of those is more holy than the other.
But downsizing-- living amongst the poor and for the poor
is becoming in vogue.

It's the new black.

I don't think it's a bad new trend.  
I don't think for one minute
the Jesus followers that have followed Him
to slums
have missed the boat.

But I've lived with little and I've lived with a lot.

And I know for sure,
there are a thousand ways
to be poor.

~Maria

2 comments:

  1. Very true. There is deep poverty of soul in our world. I doubt that we are in danger of "selling all you have and give" becoming too overdone, *smile*, but it's so important to remember that money often has very little to do with true poverty. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonia,

      I'm so glad you could understand my meaning. I practice at saying something that strikes me as profound with as few words as possible, and in so doing risk being misunderstood. You are very right, we are at no risk of giving, be it materially or otherwise, too much. I think, here in this post, I am exploring the notion of all sorts of poverty, yes, but also the strange, ironic pride that can come from choosing lowly circumstances. It isn't something I would have thought a danger until I started thinking on how we do things.... sometimes we do things to try to make ourselves more holy or more worthy, or to assuage guilt, or gosh sometimes we can do things, however well intentioned, for the wrong reasons. And I wonder how often this is me.
      But I am not at risk of giving too much of anything, and I know it. Deep down in the core of my soul I know it and I know, too, that even if I gave to depletion it would not be enough. And, too, I am grateful for the trend I see... the call to live with less, much less for the sake of others and the gospel, and as with any fresh movement in the Church, I like to look at it from all angles. ;>
      Thanks for thinking on this with me. :)
      Maria

      Delete