Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Detour

I almost can't remember a time when 
I could predict what would come next.
But, actually, if I think back far enough,
there were many years
when I did just that.

I guess my mind was trained towards that:
predicting the future,
and planning for what was predicted.

Even now, when my best guesses are
merely stabs in the dark,
I am addicted to a way of thinking
that anticipates the 'all clear',
the green light,
for the almighty
Plan.

I want to know what's what.
I want boundaries 
defined.
I am willing to sacrifice the now
in order to be assured
of 
what's next.

It doesn't make sense,
and the sacrifice is not 
worth it.

I am learning this slowly.
Addictions are hard- to- break
habits we depend on.

The hope, though, is this...

In what may seem like a perpetual holding pattern?
there are green lights.
They may not overlook the roads I thought they should.
They may illuminate a different course
altogether.
But they are yeses,
they are the clear signs declaring,
'This Way'.

What joy there is in being forced down the Detour,
only to find
it really was
the quickest path
to where you want to be.

~Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment